The Rescue Train’s Shelter Intervention Program was launched on Valentine’s
Day, 2015, at the Los Angeles City East Valley animal shelter, and in 2017 we
expanded to cover the West Valley shelter. This program was built on the idea
that poverty directly contributes to shelter euthanasia. Many low-income
residents, overwhelmed by expenses associated with pet ownership and the
state’s affordable housing crisis, believe that surrendering their pet to a
city or county shelter is their only option.
By providing access to resources and support, this program gives low-income,
senior citizens and homeless pet owners options other than surrendering their
pets and keeps those pets at home where they belong.
How Can We Help You Keep Your Pet
The Rescue Train is here to help pet owners who fall on hard times.
Here is a list of the services we provide:
- Assistance with spay/neuter costs
- Veterinary assistance and references to low-cost animal hospitals and programs
- Paying for dog licenses and assisting pet owners with redemption fees to get their pets out of the shelter
- Assistance with pet deposits
- Dog and cat food, collars, leashes and other supplies, including dog houses
- Dog runs, repairing fences and gates to keep dogs in their yards
- Dog training and behavioral guidance
- Assistance with rehoming pets
- Humane euthanasia for terminally ill pets
- Assistance with pet-friendly housing
This program is solely funded by tax-deductible donations.
ZIP Codes We Service In The San Fernando Valley
91040 91340 91401 91411 91601 91606
91042 91342 91402 91423 91602 91607
91214 91345 91403 91504 91604 91608
91331 91352 91405 91505 91605
91302 91307 91325 91343 91367
91303 91311 91326 91344 91406
91304 91316 91330 91356 91436
91306 91324 91335 91364
Tuesday - Saturday 9:30AM - 4PM
East Valley Animal Shelter:
14409 Vanowen St., Van Nuys, CA 91405
Look for our blue table in the lobby.
HOTLINE (818) 927-1364